Monday, January 28, 2013

Yamaha Silent Guitar

I wanted a travel guitar at the time (early 2000s) and I was playing a lot of nylon string guitar.  The Yamaha Silent Guitar is collapsible with a built-in pickup for headphone playing or plugging into an amplifier.  I found the use of headphones really cumbersome at best -- for some reason, I need to hear the tones coming out of the guitar body.
I do find the design of this guitar both sexy and functional.  It uses a solid wood piece for the neck-through-bridge main part and hard plastic/wood for the guitar body.  Only the top half of the guitar body comes out and is typically held in place by set screws at the tail and where the neck meets the body.  On a playability scale, however, I would only give this guitar no more than a 6 (out of 10) -- not because of the neck, which is decent, but because of the small narrow body.  Maybe it's Pavlovian conditioning that my ears expect a loud, resonating cedar top every time my finger touch a set of nylon strings.  I don't play it enough to reverse that expectation.  That has got to be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment