Saturday, January 19, 2013

Jasmine Acoustic

This is my first acoustic guitar (technically, my 2nd but the first one was a really cheap-o and just fell apart).  Jasmine is a lower end brand name by Takamine made in Korea (not Japan).  At the time, I definitely could not afford even the cheapest Tak dreadnought which ran about $500.  I got this Jasmine S-80 for about $300 from Guitar Center in Hawthorne in 1990.  Don't even know if the top is solid or laminate spruce but it sounded nice and I played this for almost a decade until the Taylor bug bit me in the late 90s.
I haven't played this in about 10 years and the wood had stabilized to the point that any warping the guitar was going to do was over and done with.  The inlays and the plastic bindings are not of the best craftsmanship but this guitar was made when manufacturers first started out using the Korean labor market.  I've tried several string sets with this Jasmine but the John Pearse mediums sound the brightest.

No comments:

Post a Comment