Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Yamaha SC300T

This is a classic surf guitar in Candy Apple Red color.  Another Craigslist find, I guessing originally sold around 1984.  I am a sucker for painted headstocks so this was an easy decision.  Just a couple very minor scratches on the finish.  Missing a tremolo bar and also, the volume and tone knobs are not original.  I had to adjust the intonation just a hair when I got it.  No case and the tuners don't look original either but it's one cool-looking surf guitar.  The back of the headstock is stamped "Made in Taiwan" but the quality of the guitar screams Yamaha Japanese quality all the way.

7 comments:

  1. I've got the same one. Candy Apple Red from June 01 1984.

    I wanted a designated "surf axe" so I strung it up with flat wound 12s, plug it into my Carvin VT50 w/ two 410 cabs, crank the reverb and ride the wave.

    (Yours looks to be in a little bit better shape than mine...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think the guitar is under-represented in most modern surf genre bands. Very samurai-looking! I looked at a couple SC300Ts before I settled for this one. The others had the neck pickup pinched into the neck which ended up cracking the plastic pickup cover.

      Delete
  2. Yo tengo una de estas guitarras Yamaha CS300T la compré en 1986 y todavía sigo tocando con ella... tiene un sonido muy peculiar... Muchos músicos se sorprenden cuando la ven porque no conocen este modelo.. Un saludo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one too, I love to play it, feels good like a strat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one too, I love to play it, feels good like a strat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one too, I love to play it, feels good like a strat.

    ReplyDelete