Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Rationalization Of An Acquisition

Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S.) starts out innocently enough.  About the only thing that doesn't qualify as a G.A.S. purchase is probably that very first instrument -- that one that you will learn how to play on.  Just about every other rationalization is one step closer to G.A.S. at an epidemic pace.  Here are some thoughts on how I got here.


Rationale #1: I need to acquire a backup guitar.  In most cases, the new instrument replaces the previous one as the primary instrument.  A backup guitar, a backup electric, a backup stratocaster, a backup HSS strat. You get the point.  Except at some point, both guitars become primary and you therefore, need a "real" backup.  Another guitar, that is.  And it goes on and on and on.

Rationale #2: I need to get a different guitar for playing a different kind of music.  Remember that first hollowbody?  Why?  I need to play jazz comps properly on a jazz guitar.  Of course, it's easy to lose interest in playing that type of music once the guitar is in hand.

Rationale #3: I need to find another guitar with a slightly different sound or tonal quality.  Different pickup combination, different acoustic body shape, different neck construction.  I needed a set-neck guitar to get a better sustain when playing solos.  Right, Carlos Santana.

Rationale #4: That guitar would pair up perfectly with one that I already have.  A matching Lake Placid Blue Stratocaster would sure look nice next to my Lake Placid Blue Telecaster.  Aesthetically, a pair that is meant to be deserves to be together.  A good argument to use with our spouses -- not that we should compare guitars with spouses.  I'm just saying.

Rationale #5: I am buying this guitar because it is an upgrade to my current model.  Who wouldn't replace their MIM strat with a Made in USA strat?  I, for one, wouldn't think twice about replacing my 5000 series Gretsch with a 6000 series.  There is a school of thought that says if you get the most expensive model you can afford, you will not want to upgrade.  I did this with my Taylor 414 Grand Auditorium but somehow, I needed a Taylor dreadnought after a couple years.

Rationale #6: I need that guitar because I don't have it.  Probably the worst case.  When we get to this phase, all bets are off.  A 12-step program is in order.  But then the trade is "Do I pay for that 12-step program?" or "Do I spend the money on a Gibson Midtown Custom?"

No comments:

Post a Comment